Organizations must be able to quickly respond to any cybersecurity incident. As data collection and processing becomes increasingly vital to business operations, cybercrime is becoming ever more pervasive. As such, quick reactions become a high-priority risk-management process.
But it’s also becoming more evident that businesses and agencies are inadequately prepared to react quickly and effectively.
A recent Ponemon study provides a few figures that illustrate the severity of the incident response problem. The study, which included a survey of approximately 3,000 security professionals representing nine countries, produced several key findings:
- Cybersecurity spend has increased by about 24% over the past year.
- Attacks have risen by about 17% in the same time. The severity of these attacks has risen by 30%.
- 50% of survey respondents say the window of time for patching a vulnerability has decreased.
- The amount of cybersecurity budget going to vulnerability patching has increased by around 34%.
- Managing vulnerabilities remains a serious problem. Only 40% of respondents say their organization has a complete view of the vulnerability lifecycle.
As security departments attempt to overcome the challenges of vulnerability management, one of the main issues they face is communication. Multiple departments are often involved in implementing a response. Disorganization and slow feedback make it difficult to get the job done.
Around 80% of the Ponemon study’s respondents feel that automation can reduce the amount of time it takes to execute an incident response. However, less than 50% say their processes effectively leverage automation. Their organizations are working manually via outdated systems – and these systems fail to address specific vulnerabilities.
Lunarline has helped private- and public-sector organizations alike iron out their incident response processes. In addition to implementing automated patch management solutions, these organizations have streamlined the cross-department path from incident to response and stayed ahead of high-priority vulnerabilities.
For more information on how Lunarline can help you improve your incident response, contact us online today.