WE HAVE A CYBERSECURITY SOLUTION FOR YOU!
Expect a surge in new devices joining personal and business networks as the holidays wrap up and the gift wrap comes off. Apart from the new tablets, smartphones and personal computers, there will be a flurry of activations for smart home devices and Internet of Things (IoT) technologies, which have been in high demand for the holiday season.
If you’ve received a new device for the holidays, cybersecurity probably isn’t the first thing on your mind. But while it might seem like a drag, you’ll be safer if you take the time to ensure your gadget is secured.
With that in mind, we’re offering some straightforward advice for configuring and protecting your new devices.
- Get the updates: Security patches and protections for your device may have been released after it was purchased. If you received an IoT device, make sure its firmware is updated. Also check your computer, tablet and/or phone to make sure it has the latest patches. If you haven’t already, set it up to automatically update for continuous protection.
- Consider your password protections: The old rules for a suitable password have changed very recently. Follow the current best practices, which suggest long, multi-word passwords are the way to go. If you use a password generator, check its security record to ensure you’re being protected.
- Get a VPN: A virtual private network hides your IP address, essentially keeping your identity protected online. Just understand that not all VPNs are made the same – and generally, free services don’t offer the same level of security as products that require even small fees.
- Keep it separated: You may be tempted to use your new device for both personal and business uses. But doing so will increase your chances of a breach on your workplace’s networks.
- Consider your clicking habits: Hackers know that we are excited about our new devices, so phishing activity is lively this time of year. Review your understanding of safe activities online and make sure you aren’t falling for their traps.
Lunarline can’t keep watch over every last one of your individual devices. However, we can and do offer a range of solutions and services that allow businesses and other organizations keep watch over their networks and safeguard their data.
If your organization needs an upgrade this holiday season, contact Lunarline today.